Will Hostrawser discusses some tips that he utilizes with his coaches and especially non-teacher coaches. Communication and following up with parents on any issue is key, as well as reaching out to the AD for additional information and advice. Instructing non-teachers on media relations is also a must.
Do not assume that they know something or that something will get done just because it happens with your other coaches.
Here are a few special reminders:
- Must return parent phone calls & email messages.
- Do not use email/social media with individual athletes - only to the entire squad about time changes, etc.
- You do not have to agree with parents but you MUST be polite.
- Be careful with comments to the press - only positive. Criticism of players happens in practice, not in the press.
- Explain that a non-teacher coach (like a teacher-coach) is a role-model & spokesperson for the school.
This material comes from an NIAAA Leadership Training Institute Course taught at the Indiana High School Athletic Administrators State Conference. For more information, you can view the NIAAA Course Catalog here.